Friday, April 24, 2009

Stuck in a Rut?


A couple of years back, I remember reading a story about a Wisconsin driver whose impatience prompted him to go around a road barrier and make his own rules. A long line of cars backed up behind him did the same thing, blindly following him as if he knew what he was doing.

On the other side of the barrier was a newly paved roadway. The report read:

As many as 10 vehicles drove around barriers and onto freshly poured concrete on a busy thoroughfare during rush hour. "Once someone goes around the barricade and busts through the tape, others follow," Sgt. Tony Restivo said

Maybe this driver believed in Hannibal's brand of leadership:

We will either find a way or make one!

I laughed my head off the first time I heard that story, but the truth is, it's not funny. I recognize that impatience all too well in myself. Sometimes I'll step off the beaten path before giving it enough thought. In my impatience, or driven by creativity, I take off on my own course and end up stuck in gooey concrete. Then I dig myself out and begin again.

What are you stuck in this week? Ambition? Problems? Deadlines? The expectations of others? Take a deep breath, and if you dare...ask God to teach you something in the process. Whenever I take my time instead of forging ahead, I often recall Psalm 46:10, one of my favorite Bible verses: "Be still and know that I am God." I like my own personal paraphrase even better:

Be still and know that I am God...and you're not.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I can really identify with this - have mentioned this post in my latest blog.

Seedplanter said...

Thank you, AJ!
I appreciate you, friend.

THOMBU1 said...

Thanks, that is too true. I appreciate the push. I too have felt stuck lately.
tom

Vicki said...

I have felt stuck more often than I care to recall...this post inspires me forward.

Grace Albaugh said...

It's so true. I have learned that waiting for the good stuff to unfold instead of forging ahead makes life much more pleasant. Thanks for your thoughts!

THOMBU1 said...

TRue, so true! Thanks for your kind comments. Praying for your husband.
tom

Seedplanter said...

Thanks, everyone. Grace, I feel the same. There's a lot to be said for taking a deep breath and waiting.

Thombu1, thanks. His job officially ended today. Been in limbo since November. Now comes the adventure...